Monday, November 2, 2009

On an island after the techonology P.D.

After an amazing weekend at the OTF conference I left feeling uplifted, excited and ready to bring so much to my classroom. That was until I checked my voicemail and was reminded by a staff voice message that cellphones and iPods were absolutely not permitted in the class. That's when my heart hurt; this is a board policy. I know that the road ahead will not be easy. I will have to take small and carefully planned steps but it just feels so intimidating. Does anyone share the feeling of intimidation? Words of wisdom perhaps?

1 comment:

  1. That's a millon dollar question Chris.

    Does your board have an out clause? Ours has an 'if the teacher deems necessary for education purposes' type of statement that allows us to try some things. Most schools just ban them anyway, but at least we have a glimmer of light.

    Things are changing. They have too. We can't hide forever.

    Maybe you should just start using the devices in your classes yourself. That would show some great uses and decrease the resistance. Maybe.

    Good luck and keep us posted!
    Colin

    ReplyDelete